The day after Christmas, we went back to 2008...
And yesterday, we dived into the future, all the way to 2028...
So now let's focus on 2018!
And again, we could do so, by asking ourselves some year-end questions:
- What 'good habits' did I practice in 2017?
- What 'bad habit' was still present in my life?
- If I don’t change this 'bad habit' in 2018, what’s my short-term ‘pleasure’?
- If I don't change it, what will it cost me in the long run?
- If I never change, what’s the ultimate price I will have to pay in 10 years?
- What actions can I take in the New Year to turn things around?
- What are my sub-goals for 2018, so I can get closer to my Decade Dream?
Hmmm.... something to think about.... 🤔
My Good & Bad Habits
Good habits that I practiced in 2017 is:
- Committing to long-term plans
- Taking massive action in the short-term
- Constant and never-ending improvement (CANI) along the way
- Never losing sight of the essence and the Bigger Picture
- Drinking vegetable smoothies and exercising.
A 'bad habit loop' that I can get caught up in when I'm very busy is, that I eat too much milk chocolate.
I love milk chocolate, so if I start to take a little piece .... well.... at the end of the day... the whole bar is gone...😋
So in the New Year, I want to lower my sugar intake drastically, to avoid my pancreas to burn out in the next decade.
Another 'bad habit' is working too much, too long, too often, and in a steady way 😉.
It's like this woodcutter who is sawing for several days straight and is becoming less and less productive, because the process of cutting dulls the blade...
Abraham Lincoln already said: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening my axe."
So top priority in 2018 is to 'sharpen my saw' and to not only 'work hard', but also 'play hard'.
Because if I don't change, not only my pancreas will burn out in the next decade, but me as well 😜.
A third habit that is in the making, is that Marc and I started meditating in 2017, to counter balance the 'work hard'.
But we have not been able to integrate 'meditation' as a daily habit yet.
However, we strongly belief it will be a game-changer, so it will gain our full focus in the 2018!
"We'll meditate the crap out of it" we often say as a joke 😉 And no worries, we are fully aware: that's how it should NOT be done 😜.
My Goals & Actions For 2018
I will put 'Heath & Vitality' as the number #1 value in 2018, because it's the most important condition, if one wants to be able to create and add more value to the world. So in 2018, I will make empowering choices when it comes to food, drinks, and exercising, so I feel energized, powerful, and ready to take on a new day for 10 years in a row.
- To break my chocolate habit, I'll do a 30-day-challenge with myself, and go 'cold turkey' where I do NOT eat chocolate at all.
- I just bought a course about 'deep breathing' and 'meditation', so that will have my main focus in the first quarter of 2018.
- We will finalize the 'ST For-The-Rider' program, but since we have a big project in the first half of the year, which is building an indoor and outdoor, it could be that we will release this at the end of 2018, or maybe beginning of 2019.
'Growth & CANI' has aways been a top value of mine, that's why I am a forever student and researcher for life. So I will keep studying, and drink deeply from good books.
- I will learn to write and speak Portuguese.
- I will restudy the books of the Old Grandmasters.
In this area, 'Emotional Intelligence' will again be my top value, and I will keep passing it along to my STudents. So in 2018, we will reinforce our habits of focussing on the good, coming up with a better story and an empowering meaning in times of struggle, and seeing problems as a gift and an opportunity to grow. Another top value in this area is 'Love & Warmth' from which we can be generous, supportive and compassionate to the world we live in.
- I will create a 'Daily Mastery' journal which is a journal to help students stay on track on a daily basis, so they can create lasting positive change from the inside-out in their own lives.
There's nothing more fulfilling in life as being able to add value and to help riders transform in 'Difference Makers' and 'Game Changers', so they can create lasting positive change in their horse's lives. So I'll keep CANI-ing my life's work, so it will serve the ST Community even better.
- A couple of new horses will come on board this year. Now most of you will agree, that there is nothing more soul-shaping as working with horses!
- To be able to train all horses, and to make new videos to educate and inspire the ST Community, we will let an outdoor be build at our yard in the first quarter of the new year, and an indoor medio next year.
- Also, we will adopt a dog, and offer him a great life here at our yard.
Now Back To You!
Now it's the time to design your year.
What do you want in 2018?
Decide what you want for a final outcome.
And what do you need to change?
To not be in the way of yourself?
What habits hold you back?
How are you going to break the pattern?
How are you going to live today to create the tomorrow you're committed to?
Let me know in the comments below!